Tooth Restorations in our Columbus Dental Office
Dental inlays and onlays are restorative treatments aimed at restoring moderate dental damage such as decay, fractures, and cracks, that dental fillings cannot fix, but not severe enough that it might require greater treatment such as a dental crown. An inlay is similar to a dental filling as it goes inside the tooth cavity, while an onlay is placed both inside the cavity of the tooth and on the surface of it.
Inlays and onlays can be made of different materials such as gold, porcelain, ceramic and composite resin. Getting fitted with an inlay or onlay usually takes two visits, the first visit is to prepare your tooth for the procedure and the second visit is to apply the inlay or onlay and repair your tooth.
Inlays & Onlays Procedure
- Your doctor will examine your teeth to determine which need restorative treatment
- The tooth that is damaged or decayed is thoroughly cleaned, and all decay is removed
- Local anesthesia is applied to numb the area being treated
- An impression of the tooth being treated is taken and sent to a lab where a custom-made dental inlay or onlay will be created for you
- A temporary cover will be fitted to protect your tooth while the customized inlay or onlay is being designed
- Once the permanent inlay or onlay arrives, the temporary one is removed, and the permanent one is cemented to your tooth
- To finalize the procedure, the tooth is polished and smoothed for a perfect fit.
Good oral hygiene is strongly recommended to maintain your teeth in good conditions and avoid further decay or damaging the inlays or onlays. Inlays and onlays can last for decades if you take good care of them.
Are Inlays or Onlays a Good Solution to Your Dental Problem?
Call and schedule an appointment at (614) 758-6522. Our team will examine you and go over the best treatments for you.
What our patient says
"The staff was great and the entire office treated me, a new patient, like I was a regular there! Very nice and friendly staff!!!!"