Screening for Mouth Cancer in Columbus, Ohio
During your regular checkup visits, your dentist will also perform an oral cancer screening. This procedure is an examination of your mouth and neck to look for any signs or lesions of precancerous or cancer conditions. It is important to have these screenings at least once a year, so any signs of abnormal growths can be detected and treated early.
What Are the Risk Factors for Oral Cancer?
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Increased sun exposure
- Heavy alcohol use
- Previous history of cancer diagnosis
Being aware of these factors and the risk they pose to your dental and overall health is important. Avoiding or decreasing your exposure to these factors can help prevent or decrease the chances of having oral cancer.
- Your doctor will examine the inside of your mouth (tongue, cheeks, gums, etc.) checking for lesions or mouth sores
- Your neck is also examined to feel for any abnormal growths or lumps
- Other exams can use blue dye or lasers to check for any signs of abnormalities
- In case your doctor finds any abnormal tissue, a brush test will be performed and sent to the lab
- If positive, a biopsy of the abnormal cells is taken to determine the presence of cancerous cells and confirm the diagnosis
It is important to visit your dentist regularly or seek a screening immediately if you feel any abnormal growths or find sores in your mouth. Early detection is important and provides better chances for a successful outcome.
If you have detected any strange formations in your mouth or neck or simply want to do a preventive checkup, call us at (614) 758-6522 to get an appointment today!
What our patient says
"I loved the friendly and comfortable atmosphere! This was my first appointment and I have already made multiple recommendations to my family and friends. I was very impressed with the technology utilized in the office and the friendly faces! Everyone I met throughout the office was extremely friendly and really added to my overall experience. I am very impressed with the office!"