Tooth Sealants in Columbus
Teeth have fissures and grooves, especially the molars and premolars that can collect plaque and bacteria if good oral hygiene is not practiced daily. Cavities and decay can harm the teeth if plaque and food residues are left on these fissures or grooves, which is why sealants are used to protect your teeth from cavities and decay. Dental sealants are used as a barrier to protect your teeth from decay and are made out of a clear plastic material that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of your teeth to “seal” any grooves or fissures.
How Are Sealants Applied?
- The teeth are cleaned using a special toothbrush and paste to get rid of any plaque or food residues
- The teeth are rinsed with water and dried to prepare for the sealants
- A solution is applied to the teeth to make the surface rougher so the sealant can be applied easily
- The teeth are rinsed and dried again
- The sealants are applied to the front surface of the teeth and the crowns of the molars and premolars
- A special light sets the sealant onto the surface of your teeth.
Dental sealants can last for years, but good oral hygiene is strongly recommended. Sealants can be reapplied when necessary during a routine checkup and their application does not take a long time. It’s a quick and inexpensive but very effective method of protecting your teeth. If you take care of your teeth with good oral hygiene and simple treatments you can avoid having dental problems in the future.
Want to Get Dental Sealants for You or Your Child?
Visit us at Polaris Dental Care in 2023 Polaris Parkway, Columbus OH 43240, or call us at (614) 758-6522 to schedule an appointment today!
What our patient says
"Everyone is very friendly, there is practically no waiting time, and my care there has been excellent. "